The Importance of Being Selfish

This is one of those ideas that I left out of my book because I wasn't sure how well it would be received. Either way, there are still some things I want to say. If this entry is liked enough, I'll include it as another chapter in my book. I would also like to take this time to explain, real quick, why I haven't posted consistently the last few months. It's hot. My computer makes my room even warmer. I'd rather just not run it during the summer. Still working on a few videos though.

Be selfish. Hang on. I have reasons. You are the most important "Person" in your life. We're all going to be selfish anyway so why not accept it and embrace it? If you like to do things for others, you're doing those things because you like to do them. Not that what you do has nothing to do with other people but it is from a selfish place. Not being aware of something doesn't mean that it isn't there. If you save a million dollars from being washed down a raging river, save a family member instead, or decide to save a loved one over both, you're doing it for you. Even those hard choices we have to make, are made to better suit ourselves.

If someone has to decide to either raise a child or give them to an adoptive family, whatever they decide will be what they want. It's not impossible to make a selfless choice but even when trying to be selfless, it could be for selfish reasons. You may think that the child would have the best chance with you or that you're not going to hurt them, so you raise them. You may think that the child would have a better life with another family and you'll do every thing you can to give them the best life you know. These are both selfish. You want to give what you have and you want them to have something.

Doing things for others can also be for yourself. Why do anything for someone else? I do things for others because it's who I am. I like to see other people be happy. The hardest things I've ever done in life have been for myself. I simply would rather have someone else get what they want and that makes it a win for me too. I want them to have what they want. I also want people to live a better life and although the idea of the book is to help others, I'm writing it so that I can see a better world.

If you can think of a way to be truly selfless, I really would like to hear it. Hey! I'm not here to get you to be a selfless person. I'm trying to get you to be aware of how selfishness is important. You have to look after yourself. You really should try to be a good person, a better person, or just not a bad person. We're all here together and there are plenty of places to learn these things. Churches are a great place to learn this. We can't all be teachers but a Church has many teachers all reading the same lessons they learned. You don't have to be pinned down to one religion or idea or location. You should explore and hear what others have to say.

What ever you do. Do it for you. Be selfish in helping others because of the return in what can be done for you. Do things that work toward your happiness. Just remember, taking the hurt for someone else is rewarding for everyone. Love one another. Be kind. Be selfish.

Thank you for your time.
James D. Gray

Comments