Who Do We Think We Are? Paid Platforms

It has come to my attention, not too long ago, that some shows that started on free streaming platforms have moved to paid platforms. I know I'm not the only one upset about this. It's not that I don't know how business works. The people that make the shows want money. When someone offers them more money than they were making, taking that deal is the logical step, all provided it doesn't destroy their project or principles. It also gives the creators a feeling of accomplishment that someone has decided to buy what they're doing. I too would want someone to offer to pay me for something that I created.

What I'm not okay with is trying to get money from my viewers. I'm a viewer too. I don't have money to spend on shows I want to watch if it means that I have to pay $10 a month for each show because they're all on different paid platforms. There comes a point when diversity in options is a bad thing. This is that point. The math for this isn't an easy thing to do. If we're not paying for hundreds of channels on television and only getting about 4 shows a month worth watching, we're paying about the same amount of money for different subscriptions to watch about the same amount of shows online. Seems like it would be a fair trade, but you're forgetting that we're also paying for internet in order to watch those shows online.

This is one of the reasons I don't like all this talk about shows that only play on exclusive channels on cable. You'd have to be paying for cable and then for that channel to be added, just to watch a show that isn't on all year. The rest of the year, there may not be anything on that extra channel that you're watching but you're still paying for it. Don't tell me that everyone is watching this show and I should be too. There are also people buying million dollar cars but mine didn't cost me 2 thousand dollars. Some people can afford to do more than others and that's fine. Even if I had the money, you wouldn't see me paying for more than what I thought was right.

I'm going to bring this back to the point. I pay for internet and two other platforms that bring me entertainment on said internet. It would be very hard for me to justify paying for anything else. Even one of the platforms I pay for doesn't have content I watch every month but I keep it because it's shared with family members. At the same time there were shows I watch on free platforms and sites that moved to paid and now I can't watch them. They didn't all move to the same platform, they all jumped to some different thing. In order to watch them all again it would probably cost me over 100 dollars each time they put out a new season. It wouldn't take the whole month to watch a season from each show, so there would be no point in maintaining the subscription.

It's all just a huge mess and I'd rather just not be able to watch the shows anymore. I don't know how people are making money off of this and I don't care. I think the mass of paid platforms is a mistake and we should probably figure out how to fix the upset advertising company situation. That is a group that I can understand paying people for their content. Their whole job is to give people money so that those people will allow ad space on their videos or web pages. Don't be so hateful toward ads. They're a good thing and they help bring you entertainment without taking money from you to do so. You also might find something being advertised that you want to spend money on if you're into that anyway.

I personally would never force my fanatics to give me money directly for my content. I prefer to share my art with as many people as I possibly can.

Thank you for your time.
James D. Gray

Comments