Who Do We Think We Are? Movies

We are living in the age of many exciting distractions. Music is everywhere and anyone can make it. The internet gives us the opportunity to share our lives and knowledge daily. We build complex computers and they in turn run our lives. There are millions of games in all forms from tabletop to video. Our imagination knows no bounds and this is shown more in cinema than anywhere else. The stories we write could make no measure to how hard we work on making those words a visual experience for all to see. That's what I'm going to be talking about in this blog. When you're done reading I would also like to know what you think.

So here we are. The issue at hand is all around us. With everything we have and everything we're able to do, why would we be so jaded as to call the movies and television shows we have "Trash"? I'm not referring to the content in a cinema but rather the writing, SFX, and acting. There are some shows and movies that I would consider containing words and ideas that I would rather not attend. At the same time, most of the cinema we have is absolutely amazing. Whether or not it fits with our individual ideas of what the show should have been, it still turns out to be better than it would have been ten years earlier.

You're right I'm upset. I can watch a movie and not like it but I still respect what it took to make it. I can also appreciate how visually interesting it was. Television is on a tighter schedule than a movie is. If you were ever wondering why the two look so different, it's because of time constraints. TV has to get their shots quick and move on to the next scene. Sometimes the actors don't have much time to get their lines right. They may get their scripts a week ahead of filming each episode. In a movie "That takes a whole year to make" The actors run through the script usually way ahead of time or film each line soon after reading their part. The crew could have a week to film the same scene and they get that time to set up the shots they need. I don't want it to sound easier than it is. Taking all that time to work on something like that could give way to inconsistencies or continuity errors. It's hard work.

So if you see something in a scene that doesn't quite match up or is out of place just relax. There is a lot more going on than you know. Besides that, you should really be happy to watch whatever it was that they put together. Trust me though, I know when there is right to complain about either the poor execution of something or the lack of real effort. There are times when I found that "executive" decisions can ruin something great. How bad could it have really gotten? Maybe there's someone out there that actually enjoyed it. If that's true, my best real guess is that this just wasn't for you.

You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not going to stop you from calling something bad. I can't really stop you from doing that. All I want is for you to reconsider acting out your self gratifying insult fest every time you watch something that you didn't really care for.

Is there any movie or TV show that you think was bad any time between 2010 and 2018? I want to know what they are and why you think they didn't hold up to your standards. I'm looking for original thought and not the repeated reviews of angry nerds. I very well might have a lot of good things to say about it contrary to your thoughts. Who Knows?

Thank you for your time.
James D. Gray

Comments